State Senator Diana DiZoglio is now accepting applications for the position of Legislative Director in her State House office!
The Legislative Director advises the Senator on all legislative areas and implements the legislative agenda, including, but not limited to: bills filed and co-sponsored by the Senator, legislation before the Senate, legislation assigned to the Senator’s committee and legislative concerns from constituents.
• Research and draft legislation to be filed by the Senator
• Manage the legislative process of bills before the Senate
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge on all legislation affecting the district, legislation on which the Senator is a principal sponsor, or legislation on which the Senator is a cosponsor
• Report directly to the Chief of Staff and/or the Senator
• Serve as the point of contact for inquires related to all legislation, including the Senator’s
• Manage day-to-day activities of the committee in which the Senator serves as the chair
• Monitor legislative activity on the Senate floor
• Prepare the Senator with pertinent legislative updates in advance of all sessions and committee hearings of which the Senator is a member
• Collaborate with the House committee staff on bills before the committee
• Ensure that the Senator is able to conduct committee work in a timely and informed manner
• Prepare relevant information related to committee hearings in which the Senator serves as chair
• Review and analyze committee issues in the annual budget process
• Assist in the writing of speeches and columns pertaining to legislative matters
• Maintain the LAWS system in all committee related matters
• Meet with constituents or other office visitors on legislative matters, as necessary
• Represent the office at events in the State House and district
• Assist organizations and constituents in the district with legislative matters
• Support general work of the office such as, but not limited to; answering the phone, greeting visitors and maintaining office supplies and equipment
• Maintain a good working relationship with the Senator, staff and constituents
• Meet deadlines as set by the Senator, Chief of Staff, and legislative calendar
• Perform other duties as assigned
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree or higher education level is preferred, including strong academic credentials. Alternatively, five years of related experience. Legislative experience at the State House, and/or other legislative experience is beneficial. Juris Doctorate preferred.
• Knowledge of the 1st Essex District and the cities and town represented by the Senator
• An understanding of the local, state and federal political process
• Thorough knowledge of legislative process and of Senate organization and procedures
• Strong editing, writing and communication skills
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required
• Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant and professional manner
• Ability to work efficiently within time constraints and deadlines
• Willingness to serve the 1st Essex District and its constituents
• Knowledge of office computer applications
• Ability to work extended hours and weekends on occasion, when needed. Must have transportation to travel to both the State House and Senator’s district.
Applicants should submit via e-mail a resume and cover letter to Senator DiZoglio’s Chief of Staff Andrew Carden: Andrew.Carden@masenate.gov.